الأربعاء، 8 ديسمبر 2010

lesson 14


/ 하다 (l/eul ppeon hada) is a grammatical structure that means "to almost do something" or "to closely escape doing something". This structure is often used with the word 거의 (geoui - almost) to give it more emphasis.

Formation
Verb stem ending in a vowel + 하다

Ex) 떨어지다 (tteoreojida) - to fall
떨어지 + 하다 떨어질 뻔하다
= to almost fall, to closely escape falling
떨어질 했어요. = I almost fell.

Verb stem ending in a consonant + 하다

Ex) 잊다 (itda) - to forget
+ 하다 ▷잊을 뻔하다
= to almost forget
잊을 했어요. = I almost forgot.
Example Sentences
1. 오늘 아침에 늦을 했어. [늦다] (oneul achim-e neujeul ppeon haesseo)
- I was almost late this morning.

2. 힘들어서 쓰러질 했어요. [힘들다, 쓰러지다] (jeo himdeureoseo sseureojil ppeon haesseoyo)
- I was so tired that I almost collapsed.

3. 너무 슬퍼서 했어요. [슬프다, 울다] (neomu seulpeoseo ul ppeon haesseoyo)
- I was so sad that I almost cried.

4. 너무 많이 먹어서 토할 했어. [먹다, 토하다] (neomu mani meogeoseo tohal ppeon haesseo)
- I ate too much so I almost threw up.

5. 놀라서 소리지를 했어요. [놀라다, 소리지르다] (nollaseo sorijireul ppeon haesseoyo)
- I was surprised and I almost screamed.




렇지 않아도 (geureochi anado) literally means "even if it's not like that" or "even if you don't do it like that," and it is a shortened version of the longer phrase, "그렇게 하지 않아도" or "그러하지 않아도." Literally, 그렇게 하다 means "to do like that" and 그러하다 means "to be that way" or "to be like that." Therefore, this refers to whatever has happened or has been mentioned previously. Koreans use this phrase often when they were going to do something and someone mentions it or something happens so that now it's expected of them to do it. 

Formation
렇지 않아도 is almost always used as a set phrase, and often used along with the grammatical structure -()려고 하다, which was means "to plan to do" or "to be about to do" something. But when "그러하다" or "그렇게 하다" needs to be replaced with a different verb to express a more specific situation, you can take the verb and add - 않아도. 

Ex) 니가 말하지 않아도 도와주려고 했어. 
= I was going to help you even if you didn't ask me to. 
= 그렇지 않아도 도와주려고 했어.
Example Sentences
--------------------------- 

More Examples  

---------------------------

1. 그래도 오늘 전화하려고 했어! (an geuraedo oneul jeonhwaharyeogo haesseo!) 
- I was going to call you anyway. 

2. 그렇지 않아도 내가 물어보려고 했어. (geureochi anado nae-ga mureoboryeogo hasseo.) 
- Even before you mentioned it, I was going to ask you. 

3. 그렇지 않아도 나는 시간이 없었어. (geureochi anado na-neun sigan-i eopseo.) 
- Even before that happened, I didn't have time to go anyway. 

4. 그래도 조금 이상하다고 생각했어. (an geuraedo na-neun isanghadago saenggakhaesseo.) 
- Even before you mentioned that, I thought it was strange.
Notes
As there are usually two ways to negate a verb in Korean, 그렇지 않다 is also interchangeable with 그렇다. So you can say 그래도 instead of 그렇지 않아도, but 그래도 is slightly more casual while 그렇지 않아도 can be used in all kind of polite situations. 

렇지 않아도 is often translated in English as 'anyway' at the end of a sentence, and the Korean word has the same meaning is 어차피, but just like 그래도, the word 어차피 is also more casual than 그렇지 않아도, so it's advsiable to say '그렇지 않아도' in polite situations.


--

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق