الأربعاء، 8 ديسمبر 2010

lesson 5


 

he word (gim) can mean a lot of things in Korean. The most popular meaning is of course the name of the seaweed, laver, which is used in making 김밥 (gimbap). can also mean 'steam' or 'occasion', and the meaning of 'occasion' is the one that's used in this grammatical structure. - 김에 (-neun gim-e) expresses doing one or more things based on the fact that the other action is happening. So it can be translated as 'while you're at it', 'while it happens to be in that state', or 'since it is being done already'. 

Formation

----------------------------- 

Construction 

----------------------------- 

[ Present Tense ] 
Verb stem + - 김에 

() + 김에 = 가는 김에 
= since you are going there 

() + 김에 = 먹는 김에 
= while I eat 




Excepion: 
Verb stems ending in drops the , and are followed by - 김에

() + 김에 = 파는 김에
= while you are selling it 

[ Past Tense ] 
Verb stem + -/ 김에 

() + 김에 = 김에 
= you went there, so while you are there 

() + 김에 = 먹은 김에 
= since you've already eaten it
Example Sentences
1. 서울에 가는 김에 현우도 만나려고. 
- I'm planning to meet Hyunwoo too in Seoul while I'm there. 

2. 우리 집에 김에 영어 가르쳐 .
- While you're here in my house, please teach me some English. 

3. 백화점에 가는 김에 옷도 사고 싶어. 
- Since I'm on my way to the departmnt store anyway, I also want to buy some clothes while I'm there. 

4. 김에 차라도 하고 가세요. 
-While you're here, have a cup of tea at least. 

5. 빨래 하는 김에 것까지 주면 안돼? 
- While you are doing your laundry, how about doing mine for me as well?




- 길이다 (-neun gil-ida) literally means "to be the way of" or "to be the way to". It is a way to express "to be on one's way to a place" or "to be on one's way to go do something". The conjugated part before is always in the plain present tense and the tense of the entire sentence is expressed through the later part. This grammatical structure can be used with basically any verb that represents going, coming, leaving, and arriving, but in most cases it's used with the verbs 가다 and 오다.

Formation
[To be on one's way to a place] 
- place name + - 가는 길이다 

Ex) 회사 + - 가는 길이다 
회사에 가는 길이에요. (I'm on my way to work.) 

Ex) + - 가는 길이다 
집에 가는 길이에요. (I'm on my way home.) 

[To be on one's way to go do something] 
1. verb stems ending in consonants other than + -으러 가는 길이다 
Ex) () + -으러 가는 길이다. 
먹으러 가는 길이에요. (I'm on my way to go eat.) 

2. verb stems ending in a vowel + - 가는 길이다 
Ex) () + - 가는 길이다. 
영화 보러 가는 길이에요. (I'm on my way to go watch a movie.) 

3. verb stems ending in + - 가는 길이다 
Ex) () + 가는 길이다. 
바닷가로 놀러 가는 길이에요. (I'm on my way to go play to the beach.)
Example Sentences
1. 저는 그때 집에 가는 길이었어요. (jeo-neun geuttae jib-e ganeun gil-ieosseoyo.) 
- I was on my way home at that time. 

2. 지금 어디 가는 길이세요? (jigeum eodi ganeun gil-iseyo?)
- Where are you headed now? 

3. 여동생이랑 편의점에 가는 길이에요. (yeodongsaeng-irang pyeonuijeom-e ganeun gil-ieyo.) 
- I am on my way to go to the convenience store with my younger sister.

4. 출근하는 길이에요. (chulgeunhaneun gil-ieyo.) 
- I'm on my way to go to work. 

5. 이제 퇴근하는 길이에요. (ije toegeunhaneun gil-ieyo.) 
- I'm on my way to go back home now.
Notes
Compound verbs with -가다 and -오다 don't follow the rules above and they are just used as is. 

Ex) 올라가다, 내려가다, 달려오다, 뛰어가다... etc.

For example, 올라가다 is a compound verb of 오르다 and 가다 but it doesn't become 오르러 가는 중이다, but it stays the same as 올라가는 중이다.







Verbs can be nominalized in a number of ways. One way is to use the grammatical construction - (-neun geot). This structure is used to to nominalize action verbs and indicates 'the act of (verb)ing.' It stresses the fact or manner of "(verb)ing." It can be translated as "(verb)ing." 

Often times, (geot) is changed to (geo) to make pronunciation easier, and for speech to flow more easily. (geo) is used in spoken Korean. When (geo) is used with the subject marking particle, (ge) is often used in its place. 

것이 = 거이 =  

When (geo) is used in conjunction with the object marking particle, (reul), it becomes 거를 (geo-reul). But this is often contracted to (geol) in speech. 

것을 = 거를 =

Formation
This verb nominalization is only used with action verbs. 

Verb Stem +  
가다 (gada) - to go 
(ga) - verb stem 
+ = 가는  
학교 가는 것을 싫어해요. (hakgyo ganeun geos-eul silheohaeyo.) 
I don't like going to school. 

만나다 (mannada) - to meet 
만나 (manna) - verb stem 
만나 + = 만나는  
친구 만나는 것을 좋아합니다. (chingu mannaneun geos-eul johahamnida) 
I like meeting friends.
Example Sentences
1.모자 쓰는 것을 좋아해. (moja sseu-neun geos-eul johahae.) 
I like wearing hats. 

2.친구 하는 것이 어때? (chingu haneun geos-i eottae?) 
What about being friends? 

3.일하는 것이 힘들어요. (ilhaneun geos-i himdeureoyo.) 
Working is tiring. 

4. 오면 영화를 보는 것이 습관이에요. (bi omyeon yeonghwa-reul boneun goes-i seupgwan-ieyo.) 
It is my habit to watch a movie if it rains. 

5.엄마는 남자친구가 밤에 전화하는 것을 좋아하세요. (eomma-neun namjachingu-ga bam-e jeonhwahaneun geos-eul an johahaseyo.) 
My mom hates my boyfriend calling me at night.
Related Expressions
- (Verb Nominalization)


ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق