الأربعاء، 8 ديسمبر 2010

lesson 4




- 중이다 (-neun jung-ida) can be broken down into two parts. - is a verb ending that makes the verb modify a noun in the plain form. Please note that it is different from the past tense ending '-/' and the future tense ending '-/'. And (jung) means 'middle', 'center', or 'medium' so when put together, '- 중이다' means 'to be in the middle of doing something.' 

Formation
보다 (boda) = to see 
- () + - 중이다 = 보는 중이다 
▶▶ 지금 TV 보는 중이야. (I'm in the middle of watching TV now.)

일하다 (ilhada) = to work 
- 일하() + - 중이다 = 일하는 중이다 
▶▶ 지금 일하는 중이에요. (I'm in the middle of working right now.)

자다 (jada) = to sleep 
- () + - 중이다 = 자는 중이다 
- () + - 있다 = 자고 있다 (present progressive) 
▶▶ 자고 있는 중이다 

Noun (usually nouns that indicate an action) + 중이다 
- 수업 중이다 (to be in a class) 
- 데이트 중이다 (to be in the middle of having a date) 
- 청소 중이다 (to be in the middle of cleaning) 
- 요리 중이다 (to be in the middle of cooking)
Example Sentences
1. 하는 중이세요? (mwo haneun jung-iseyo?) 
- What are you (in the middle of) doing? 

2. 지금 먹는 중이니까 나중에 전화할게. (na jigeum bap meokneun jung-inikka, najunge jeonhwahalge.) 
- I'm in the middle of eating right now so I'll call you later.

3. 사람 지금 영화 보는 중인 같아요. (du saram jigeum yeonghwa boneun jung-in geot gatayo.) 
- The two of them seems to be watching a movie right now. 

4. 열쇠를 찾는 중이에요. (yeolsoe-reul chatneun jung-ieyo.) 
- I'm in the middle of looking for my keys. 

5. 지금 통화하는 중이에요. (jigeum tonghwa-haneun jung-ieyo.)
- I'm on the phone right now.
Notes
---------------------- 

remember  

---------------------- 

1. Note that when the verb stem ends in '', the '' gets dropped before the verb stem is followed by - 중이다. 
열다 (yeolda) = to open 
() + - 중이다 여는 중이다. 

2. Note that even the present progressive can be used together with the structure - 중이다. Although technically it's redundant, a lot of Korean people just use them together.
먹는 중이다 = 먹고 있는 중이다 
자는 중이다 = 자고 있는 중이다 
공부하는 중이다 = 공부하고 있는 중이다







When you want to express whether or not you know about a method or a fact, you can use this grammatical structure. The ending verb is usually 알다 (alda - to know) or 모르다 (moreuda - do not know) and it follows -// (n/eun/neun jul). So the entire structure means "to know/not know that ..." or "to think/not expect that ..."



Formation
Verb stem + // 알다/모르다 (n/eun/neun jul alda/moreuda)
For the Past Tense, use -/ 알다/모르다.
Ex) 저를 기다린 몰랐어요. (jeo-reul gidarin jul mollasseoyo) "I didn't know you had waited for me."
For the Present Tense, use -/ 알다/모르다.
Ex) 저를 기다리는 몰랐어요. (jeo-reul gidarineun jul mollasseoyo) "I didn't know you were waiting for me."
Example Sentences
  1. 내일이 일요일인 몰랐어요.
    naeil-i ilyoil-in jul mollasseoyo.
    "I didn't know it was Sunday tomorrow."
  2. 어제가 일요일인 몰랐어요.
    eoje-ga ilyoil-in jul mollasseoyo.
    "I didn't know it was Sunday yesterday."
  3. 어제가 일요일인 알았어요.
    eoje-ga ilyoil-in jul arasseoyo.
    "I thought it was Sunday yesterday."
  4. 사람이 같이 가는 몰랐어요.
    du saram-i gachi ganeun jul mollasseoyo.
    "I didn't know the two of them were going together."
  5. 사람이 같이 가는 알았어요.
    du saram-i gachi ganeun jul arasseoyo.
    "I thought the two of them were going together."
  6. 사람이 같이 몰랐어요.
    du saram-i gachi gan jul mollasseyo.
    "I thought the two of them had gone together."

Notes
When using -/ 알다 in the past tense, it is mostly translated as "I thought it had been ..." or "I thought it was..." and when you wanted to say "I knew it was..." or "I knew it had been" more clearly, you can say -/ 알고 있다, although it can still mean either one depending on the intonation of the speaker.
Ex) 생일인 알았어? (nae saeng-il-in jul arasseo?) "Did you think it was my birthday?"
Ex) 생일인 알고 있었어? (nae saeng-il-in jul algo isseosseo?) "Did you know that it was my birthday?"






 - 바람에 (-neun baram-e) is the grammatical structure that expresses "as a result of + verb". 바람 (baram) originally means 'wind', so - 바람에 can be literally translated as 'in the wind of + verb", and it has the nuance of "in conjunction with". This structure is usually used when you want to express a reason or a cause of something that happened unexpectedly or against your hope.

Formation
Verb stem + - 바람에

Ex) 늦다 (neutda) = "to be late"
+ 바람에
▷▷ 늦는 바람에 (as a result of being late)

** Verb stems ending in - drop the - and are followed by - 바람에
Ex) 졸다 (jolda) "to doze off"
+ 바람에
▷▷ 조는 바람에 (as a result of dozing off)

Example Sentences
1. 돈을 쓰는 바람에, 밥을 먹었어. [쓰다, 먹다]
(don-eul da sseuneun baram-e bap-eul mot meogeosseo)
- As a result of spending all the money, I couldn't eat.

2. 급하게 오는 바람에, 지갑을 잊어버렸어. [오다, 잊어버리다]
(geuphage oneun baram-e jigap-eul ijeobeoryeosseo)
- I was in a hurry on my way here, and as a result, I forgot my wallet.

3. 비가 오는 바람에, 소풍이 엉망이 됐어. [오다, 되다]
(bi-ga oneun baram-e, sopung-i eongmang-i dwaesseo)
- It rained and as a result, the picnic was messed up.

4. 넘어지는 바람에, 무릎을 다쳤어. [넘어지다, 다치다]
(neomeojineun baram-e mureup-eul dachyeosseo)
- I fell and as a result I got my knees hurt.

5. 개가 짖는 바람에, 잠에서 깼어. [짖다, 깨다]
(gae-ga jitneun baram-e jam-eseo kkaesseo)
- The dog barked, as as a result I was awakened from sleep.)
Notes
There are many other ways of expressing 'reason' in Korean (-(//), -()니까, - 때문에 and etc) but the one that can be most closely interchangeable with - 바람에 is -(//).

Ex) 늦는 바람에 = 늦어서
Ex) 보는 바람에 = 봐서

 




- 동안 (-neun dongan) is a conjunction that expresses the meaning of "while + action." 동안(dongan) is a rough equivalent to the English word "during" or "for," as in "during" a certain period, or "for" a certain length of time. - 동안 (neun dongan) is a way to combine the meaning of "during" and a verb. Therefore, - 동안 (-neun dongan) means, "while + action."

Formation
Verb Stem + 동안 
  1. 자다 (jada) "to sleep"

    (ja) - verb stem

    + 동안 = 자는 동안 (janeun dongan)

    자는 동안 비가 왔어요.

    Janeun dongan bi-ga wasseoyo.

    "It rained while I was sleeping."
  2. 있다 (itda) "to be"

    (it) - verb stem

    + 동안 = 있는 동안 (itneun dongan)

    밖에 있는 동안 전화가 왔어요.

    bakk-e itneun dongan jeonhwa-ga wasseoyo.

    "I got a phone call while I was outside."

Example Sentences
  1. 제가 일하는 동안 했어요?

    je-ga ilhaneun dongan mwo haesseoyo?

    "What did you do while I was working?"
  2. 여기 있는 동안, 재미있었어요?

    yeogi itneun dongan, jaemiisseosseoyo?

    "While you were staying here, did you have fun?"
  3. 먹는 동안 보지 마세요.

    bap meokneun dongan chaek boji maseyo.

    "Don't read a book while you're eating."
  4. 운전하는 동안 전화 통화 하지 마세요.

    unjeonhaneun dongan jeonhwa tonghwa haji maseyo.

    "Don't make phone calls while you're driving."
  5. 빨래가 되는 동안, TV 봤어요.

    ppallae-ga doeneun dongan, tibi-reul bwasseoyo


    "While laundry was being done, I watched TV."




ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق