الخميس، 9 ديسمبر 2010

lesson 33






-다니까/-라니까 (-danikka ranikka) is a structure that emphasizes a fact or a statement by being added to the end of a sentence that the speaker wants to make sure is understood and accepted. We can translate to English as "I said," "I told you," or even "I asked you." When meaning, "I asked you," the ending changes slightly to 냐니까 (nyanikka). This is different from the ending -니까 (nikka), which means "because, owing to." You can add (yo) at the end to sound a little more polite, but this is not a very polite expression even in polite language because it has the nuance of talking back and criticizing the other person's thought, statement, or judgment.

-다니까 (danikka) originally comes from the expression -다고 ()하니까 (-dago hanikka), which is closer to the English translation "I said" or "I told you." We dropped the letter (go), and 말하니까 (malhanikka) or 하니까 (hanikka) became shorter, so the whole expression became –다니까 (danikka).
-라니까 (ranikka) comes from -라고 ()하니까 (-rago hanikka), and -냐니까 (nyanikka) comes from -냐고 ()하니까 (-nyago hanikka).

Formation
[Plain Sentence] + -다니까

Plain sentences using verbs other than 이다 (ida) and 아니다 (anida) + -다니까 (danikka)
  1. 가다 (gada) "to go"

    간다 (ganda) "I go." (plain narrative sentence)

    (ga) / 가요 (gayo) / 갑니다 (gamnida) 간다니까 + = 간다니까요

    (
    gandanikkayo)

    "I said I'm going"
  2. 알다 (alda) "to know"

    안다 (anda) "I know." (plain narrative sentence)

    알아 (ara) / 알아요 (arayo) / 압니다 (amnida) 안다니까 + = 안다니까요

    (
    andanikkayo)

    "I told you I know"

[Plain Sentence with 이다 or 아니다] + -라니까

Plain sentences using verbs 이다 (ida) and 아니다 (anida) + 라니까 (ranikka)
  1. 아니다 (anida) "to be not"

    아니 (ani) - verb stem

    아니 + 라니까 = 아니라니까 (aniranikka)

    아니라니까요!

    (
    jeo aniranikkayo!)

    "I told you it's not me!"
  2. 진짜 (jinjja) "real, truth"

    진짜 + 이다 = 진짜이다 (jinjjaida) "to be real"

    진짜 + + 라니까 = 진짜이라니까 진짜라니까 (jinjjaranikka)

    진짜라니까요.

    (
    jinjja-ranikkayo)

    "I told you it's real!"

[Imperatives] + -()라니까

Imperatives + -()라니까 (ranikka)
  1. 오다 (oda) "to come"

    (ending in a vowel) + 라니까 = 오라니까 (oranikka)

    빨리 오라니까.

    (
    ppalli oranikka)

    "I told you to come early."
  2. 먹다 (meokda) "to eat"

    (ending in a consonant) + 으라니까 = 먹으라니까 (meogeuranikka)

    천천히 먹으라니까.

    (
    cheoncheonhi meogeuranikka)

    "I said, eat slowly."

[Interrogative Sentence] + -냐니까

Interrogative sentences + -냐니까 (nyanikka)
  1. 오다 (oda) "to come"

    왔다 (watda) "came, to have come"
    + 냐니까 = 왔냐니까 (watnyanikka)

    왔냐니까?

    (
    wae watnyanikka?)

    "I asked you why you came."

Example Sentences
  1. 아니라니까요.

    jeo aniranikkayo.

    "I told you it's not me."
  2. 내가 먹었다니까.

    nae-ga meogeotdanikka.

    "I told you I ate it."
  3. 내가 했다니까.

    nae-ga an haedanikka.

    "I told you I didn't do it."
  4. 그러냐니까?

    wae geureonyanikka.

    "I asked you, what's wrong with you?"
  5. 누구냐니까?

    nugu-nyanikka?

    "I asked you, who is it?"
  6. 지금 나가라니까!

    jigeum nagaranikka!

    "I told you to get out of here!"
  7. 그렇다니까요.

    geureotanikkayo.

    "I told you so already."

Notes
How is it different from -다고/라고?
A similar structure is -다고/라고/냐고 (dago rago / nyago). 
This can replace the structure -다니까/라니까/냐니까 (danikka / ranikka / nyanikka) most of the time, but it does not sound as strong and accusing as -다니까/라니까/냐니까 (danikkaranikka nyanikka).





When someone tells you something and you want to show a reaction of disbelief or surprise, for the present tense and the past tense, you can use the ending -다고()? (-dago(yo)?). But for the future tense, you use the ending -라고()? (-rago(yo)?) This is because the future tense in Korean ends in -/ 것이다 (-l/eul geos-ida).
-/ 것이다 + 라고() becomes -것이라고()? (-geos-irago(yo)?), but we shorten it to -거라고()? (-geo-rago(yo)?) to make it easier and simpler to pronounce. You can add (yo) at the end to make it sound more polite and leave it out in intimate language.
So the entire phrase is translated as "So, what you said is...," "So you mean...," or "I've heard that... Is that right?"

Formation
오다 (oda) "to come"
+ - 것이다 + 라고() = 것이라고()? or 거라고()? 
"You're going to come?"
하다 (hada) "to do"
+ - 것이다 + 라고() = 것이라고()? or 거라고()? 
"You're going to do it?"
Example Sentences
1. 다음 달에 이사할 거라고요?
daeum dal-e isahal geo-ragoyo?
You're going to move next month?

2. 내년까지 미국에 있을 거라고요?
naenyeon-kkaji miguk-e isseul geo-ragoyo?
You're going to stay in America until next month?

3. 언제 거라고요?
eonje ol geo-ragoyo?
When did you say you were going to come?

4. 어디라eodi-ragoyo?고요?

Where did you say it was?

5. 누구라고요?
nugu-ragoyo?
You are...who?
Notes
We can use -()라고()? (-(i)rago(yo)?) with nouns too.
After all, the future tense in Korean is basically composed of a noun phrase [verb stem + -() ] and the verb 이다, meaning "to be."
For Example:
  1. 학생 (haksaeng), meaning "student"
    학생이라고요?
    "You are a student?"
  2. 이거 (igeo), meaning "this one"
    이거라고요?
    "You mean it's this one?"





- 다가 (daga) is the grammatical structure that expresses "while -ing" or "I was -ing when." This structure shows what kind of action was previously taking place when the next one happened, and it often has the nuance of the previous action not being completely over yet.

Formation
Verb stem + -다가

Ex) 걷다 (to walk) = + 다가 = 걷다가 (while walking)
Ex) 자다 (to sleep) = + 다가 = 자다가 (while sleeping)
Example Sentences
1. 자다가 일어났어요. [자다, 일어나다] (jadaga ireonasseoyo)
- I was asleep and I got up.

2. 먹다가 전화를 받았어요. [먹다, 받다] (bap meokdaga jeonhwa-reul badasseoyo)
- I got a phone call while I was eating.

3. 공부하다가 잠들었어요. [공부하다, 잠들다] (gongbuhadaga jamdeureosseoyo)
- I was studying and I felt asleep.

4. 울다가 웃다가 했어요. [울다, 웃다] (uldaga utdaga haesseoyo)
- They kept crying and laughing repeatedly.

5. 하다가 잃어버렸어? [하다, 잃어버리다] (mwo hadaga ireobeoryeosseo?)
- What were you doing when you lost it?
Related Expressions
-하다가 is often just used as -하다



ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق