الخميس، 9 ديسمبر 2010

lesson 25



-// 정도로 (l/eul/leul jeongdo-ro) is a grammatical structure that describes an action or a state by expressing the extent or degree of the action or state. 정도 (jeongdo) literally means "degree" or "extent." Therefore, the first part -// (l/eul/leul) modifies 정도 (jeongdo), and - (ro) is a particle that means, "in" or "to." So all together, it means, "so much in a certain state that __," or "to the extent where __."
A similar expression is -// 만큼 (l/eul/leul mankeum), and these two expressions are interchangeable almost in all contexts.

Formation
Verb Stem + -// 정도로
  1. 놀라다 (nollada) - "to be surprised"
    놀라 (nolla) - verb stem
    놀라 + 정도로 = 놀랄 정도로 (nollal jeongdo-ro)
    놀랄 정도로 비싸요.
    nollal jeongdo-ro bissayo.
    "It's so expensive that you'll be surprised."
  2. 싫다 (silta) - "to not want, to hate"
    (sil) - verb stem
    + 정도로 = 싫을 정도로 (sileul jeongdo-ro)
    많이 먹었어요 (mani meogeosseoyo) "I ate a lot."
    햄버거가 싫어요. (haembeogeo-ga sireoyo) "I hate hamburgers."
    햄버거가 싫을 정도로 많이 먹었어요.
    haembeogeo-ga sileul jeongdo-ro mani meogeosseoyo.
    "I ate so many hamburgers that now I hate them."





Screen clipping taken: 5/23/2010, 11:35 PM


 - / 수있다 (-l/eul su itda) is a grammatical structure used to express ability, capability or possibility (i.e. whether you can or can't speak English, or you can or can't use a computer). This structure adds onto the end of both descriptive and action verbs to express the possibility, or capability of that verb. This can be translated as "can," or "able to." 

The last verb 있다 (itda) can be conjugated to express politeness level, tense, mood. Traditionally, the verb can inflect negation as well, but in this grammatical structure, the negated form would come from the verb opposite to the verb 있다 (itda) - 없다 (eopta). The construction -/ 없다 (-l/eul su eoptda) can be translated as "cannot" or "not able to." 

However, when using the the construction / 없다 (l/eul su eoptda), this carries the notion that the speaker (or subject of the sentence) was unable to do something because they did not have the capacity to perform that activity. Using this structure implies that the subject does not posses the ability to perform that action [i.e. 먹을 없어 - I can't eat (I don't have the ability to eat)]. When expressing the "can't" because of other factors other than inability, the impossibility adverb (mot) is used. 


Formation
Verb Stem + -/ 있다/없다

- 있다/없다 attaches to verbs stems that end in a vowel. 

하다 (hada) - to do 

- verb stem 

+ 있다 - verb stem + 있다 

있다 - to be able to do 
없다 - to not be able to do 

저는 한국어 있어요. (jeo-neun hangukeo hal su eopseoyo.) 
I can speak Korean. (Standard Politeness Level) 

저는 한국어 없어요. (jeo-neun hangukeo hal su eopseoyo.) 
I can't speak Korean. (Standard Politeness Level) 


- 있다/없다 is used with verb stems ending in consonants. 

먹다 (meokda) - to eat 
- verb stem 
+ 없다 = verb stem + 없다 
먹을 없다 - to not be able to eat 
먹을 있다 - to be able to eat 

김치를 먹을 없습니다. (gimchi-reul meogeul su eopseumnida.) 
I can't eat Kimchi. (Formal Politeness Level) 

김치를 먹을 있습니다. (gimchi-reul meogeul su isseumnida.) 
I can eat Kimchi. (Formal Politeness Level)
Example Sentences
1. 학교 없어요. (hakgyo gal su eopseoyo.) 
I wasn't able to go to school. (I didn't have the ability to.) 

2. 손이 아파서, 없어요. (son-i apaseo, sseul su eopseoyo.) 
I can't write because my hand hurts. 

3. 영국에 있습니다. (yeongguk-e sal su isseumnida.) 
I can live in England. 

4. 말할 없어요. (malhal su eopseoyo.) 
I can't tell you. 

5. 내일도 있어요? (naeil-do ol su isseoyo?) 
Can you come again tomorrow? 

6. 저녁에 영화보러 있어요? (jeonyeok-e yeonghwa boreo gal su isseoyo?) 
Can you go see a movie (with me) tonight? 

7. 자동차 빌릴 있어요? (jadongcha jom billil su isseoyo?) 
Can I borrow (your) car for a while? 

8. 도와줄 있어요? (jeo dowajul su isseoyo?) 
Can you help me?
Related Expressions
(Mot) - Impossibility Adverb

 


 

- / 수도 있다 (l/eul su-do itda) is a grammatical structure used to express possibility. A similar structure, -/ 있다 (l/eul su itda) withtout the particle "", means
"to be able to." Therefore -/ 수도 있다 literally means "there is also a possibility that + Verb" and it is translated in English as "might + verb".


Formation
Verb stem ending in a vowel + - 수도 있다.

- 가다 (gada) - to go

+ 수도 있다 = 수도 있다 (gal su-do itda)
= might go

내일 병원에 수도 있어요. (naeil byeongwon-e gal su-do isseoyo)
= I might go to the hospital tomorrow.

- 먹다 (meokda) - to eat

+ 수도 있다 = 먹을 수도 있다
= might eat

오늘은 밖에서 먹을 수도 있어. (oneul-eun bakk-eseo bap meogeul su-do isseo)
= I might eat outside today.
Example Sentences
1. 내일 시험 수도 있어요. [보다] (naeil siheom bol su-do isseoyo)
= We might take an exam tomorrow.

2. 선생님 오늘 오실 수도 있어. [오다] (seonsaengnim oneul an osil su-do isseo)
= The teacher might not come in today.

3. 내일 시간이 없을 수도 있어요. [없다] (jeo naeil sigan-i eopseul su-do isseoyo)
= I might not have time tomorrow.

4. 오늘 수도 있어요. [ 오다] (oneul bi ol su-do isseoyo)
= It might rain today.

5. 그럴 수도 있어요. [그렇다] (geureol su-do isseoyo)
= That might be the case.
Notes
A similar grammatical structure to this one is "-/을지도 모르다", which literally means "to not know if ... will happen or not".

Ex)
- 그럴 수도 있어요. = 그럴지도 몰라요.
- 수도 있어요. = 올지도 몰라요.

 




- / (l/eul ttae) is the grammatical structure that expresses "when + subject + verb" in Korean. This grammatical structure is used to express the time of the verb, or the time of occurrence of the verb. This form is used in the present and the future tenses. When you want to express the past, // is added between the verb stem and this grammatical structure.

This construction can be translated as "when (subject) (verb)" as in "When I eat..." This clause is a non-final clause, so it must have another clause to form a complete sentence.

Formation
Verb stems ending in a vowel + -

Ex)
- 가다 (gada) = to go
- () + = = when (you) go

Verb stems ending in a consonant + -

Ex)
- 읽다 (igda) = to read
- () + = 읽을 = when (you) read

Example Sentences
1. 집에 때는 자전거를 타요. [가다] [타다]
(jib-e gal ttae-neun jajeongeo-reul tayo)
- I ride a bicycle when I go home.

2. 학교 같이 가자. [가다]
(hakgyo gal ttae gachi gaja)
- When you go to school, let's go together.

3. 일할 전화하지 . [일하다] [전화하다]
(ilhal ttae jeonhwahaji ma)
- Don't call me when I'm working.

4. 공부할 음악을 들어요. [듣다]
(gongbuhal ttae eumak-eul deureoyo)
- I listen to music when I study.

5. 아플 때는 많이 자야 돼요. [아프다] [자다]
(apeul ttae-neun mani jayadwaeyo)
- When you're sick you have to sleep a lot.






We use this grammar point to express a future action or an intention. This is stronger than the other intentionals, -()() and -려고 하다, since -()() has the partial nuance of asking for permission or agreement, and -려고 하다 is an expression of a plan or an intention without being absolutely resolute about it. And different from -()(), which can't be made into a question, we can use this grammar pattern to make a question. 

We can change the latter part, 것이다, to 거야, 거예요, and 것입니다 in the present tense, depending on the politeness levels.

Formation
Verb stems ending in a vowel + - 것이다 
  1. [가다] (gada) – “to go”

    () + 것이다 = 것이다 (“will go”)

    거야 (intimate)

    거예요 (standard)

    것입니다 or 겁니다 (formal)
  2. [보다] (boda) – “to see”

    () + 것이다 = 것이다 (“will see”)

    거야 (intimate)

    거예요 (standard)

    것입니다 or 겁니다 (formal)
Verb stems ending in a consonant + - 것이다
  1. [잡다] (japda) – “to catch”

    () + 것이다 = 잡을 것이다 (“will catch”)

    잡을 거야 (intimate)

    잡을 거예요 (standard)

    잡을 것입니다 or 잡을 겁니다 (formal)

Verb stems ending with - + 것이다
  1. [살다] (salda) – “to live”

    () + 것이다 = 것이다 (“will live”)

    거야 (intimate)

    거예요 (standard)

    것입니다 or 겁니다 (formal)

Example Sentences
  1. 집에 거야! [가다]

    jib-e gal geoya!

    "I'm going to go home!"
  2. 먹을 거야? [먹다]

    mwo meogeul geoyo?

    "What are you going to eat?"
  3. 너랑 거야! [놀다]

    neo-rang an nol geoya!

    "I'm not going to play with you!"
  4. 나도 내일 영화 거야. [보다]

    nado naeil yeonghwa bol geoya.

    "I'm going to watch a movie tomorrow, too."
  5. 너만 결혼해? 나도 결혼할 거야! [결혼하다]

    neo-man gyeolhonhae? nado gyeolhonhal geoya!

    "You think only you can get married? I'm going to get married too!"

Notes
We often replace 것이다 with 거다. It is a pronunciation change that occurs in natural conversation.
Related Expressions
Presumptive Future






The presumptive future takes a guess as to what the future will be, or what it seems like it will be like. This grammatical structure essentially takes the intentional (/ 것이다), and presumptive ( 같다), and combines these two grammatical structures together. 

As \'같다\' literally means \'to be like\' or \'to be similar to,\' this entire grammatical structure can be translated as \"(I) think (I) will...\" \"(I) think (I)\'m going to...\" \"(It) seems like (it) will be...\" 

Formation
- Verb Stem (ending in a vowel) + - 같다 

ex) 오다 (oda - to come) 
() + 같다 = 같다 = I think I/he/she/you/they/it/we will come 
같아 (intimate politeness level) 
같아요 (standard politeness level) 
같습니다 (formal politeness level) 

- Verb Stem (ending in a consonant) + - 같다 

ex) 받다 (batda - to receive) 
() + 같다 = 받을 같다 = I think I/he/she/you/they/it/we will receive 
받을 같아 (intimate politeness level) 
받을 같아요 (standard politeness level) 
받을 같습니다 (formal politeness level) 

Words that have verb stems ending with "" are followed directly by 같다 

ex) 만들다 (mandeulda - to make) 
만들() + 같다 = 만들 같다 

ex) 살다 (deulda - to live) 
() + 같다 = 같다 

ex) 알다 (alda - to know) 
() + 같다 = 같다 

The verbs 걷다(to walk), 듣다(to listen), 묻다(to ask), 싣다(to load) are changed to 걸을/들을/물을/실을 + 같다.
Example Sentences
- 오다 저는 내일도 같아요. (I think I\'m going to come tomorrow as well.) 
- 닫다 카페 닫을 같아요. (I think this cafe is going to close soon.) 
- 있다 5시에도 여기에 있을 같아요. (I think I\'ll still be here at 5.) 
- 없다 6시에는 여기에 없을 같아요. (I think I won\'t be here at 6.)
Notes
것이다 is often replaced with 거다. It is a pronunciation change that occurs in natural conversation.
Related Expressions
Intentional






-/ 그랬다 (l/eul geol geuraetda) is a way to express regret by saying "I should have done..." or "I regret that I didn't do...." The last part, 그랬다 (geuraetda) means "it was so" or "I did it." So literally, you're saying, "I did A while I could have done B." Here, (geol) is short for 것을 (geos-eul).

Formation
Verb Stem + -/ 그랬다
말하다 (malhada) "to say, to tell"
말하 (malha) - verb stem
말하 - 그랬다 = 말할 그랬다 (malhal geol geuraetda)
말할 그랬어요. (malhal geol geuraesseoyo) "I should have told him."
Example Sentences
  1. 일찍 그랬어.
    jom deo iljjik ol geol geuraesseo.
    "Too bad I didn't come earlier."
  2. 공부를 열심히 그랬어.
    gongbu-reul deo yeolsimhi hal geol geuraesseo.
    "I should have studied harder."
  3. 조심할 그랬어.
    josimhal geol geuraesseo.
    "I regret not having been careful."
  4. 좋은 그랬어.
    deo joeun geol sal geol geuraesseo.
    "I should have bought a nicer one."
  5. 그런 말은 하지 그랬어.
    geureon mal-eun haji mal geol geuraesseo.
    "I regret having said such a thing."





ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق